named Lone Star, for some reason the name was changed in honor
of Washington's estate. The county was named after Benjamin Cromwell
Franklin, the first Judge in the Republic
"Mt. Vernon was established in 1849 on land donated by Stephen
and Rebecca Keith, and a public square was surveyed in the 24-acre
plat. When Franklin
County was created in 1875, Mt. vernon was voted county seat,
and a wooden building northeast of the square was used as the first
County Courthouse Historical Marker)
Landmarks & Attractions
courtesy William Deneke, September 2014
County Museum is at 111 South South Kaufman, next to the Chamber
and in the former City Hall.
Farmstead at the corner of Kaufman and Tolbert will give
you an idea of a working farm circa 1883.
downtown district includes a gazebo and town square where one
can shop and eat at places that has been in business since the turn
of the century. The public library is located in a restored turn-of-the-century
the Countryfest held the second Saturday in October.
Methodist Church of Mount Vernon
with 13 charter members: Mrs. Joel Arrington, Capt. and Mrs. Baker,
Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Matthews, Mr. and Mrs. Jackson Parchman, Mr. and
Mrs. Joe Wylie Parchman, Mr. and Mrs. John D. Parchman, and squire
and Mrs. C. S. Yates. The group first met south of town in Joe Wylie
Parchman's home; later in a Masonic Hall; then in 1875 bought this
site and built a meetinghouse. A larger frame building was erected
n 1896-97. Present edifice was completed in 1930; educational building
in 1953. This church body has given at least four men to the ministry.
319 S. Kaufman Street
Church of Mount Vernon
Led by Baptist
missionary William M. Pickett, this congregation was organized on
Oct. 5, 1849, one year after the Mount Vernon Post Office was established.
Early worship services were held in a log building located about one-half
mile east of the Franklin
County Courthouse. Originally known as New Liberty, the congregation
adopted the name Mount Vernon Baptist Church in 1870. The church has
had a number of outstanding members and pastors, including the Rev.
Joshua F. Johnson, who later served as a member of the 1861 Secession
Convention in Austin.
CR SE 3070, between Hwy 37 and FM 115 (3 miles S of Mt. Vernon)
1845, Providence Cemetery served as a burial ground for the congregation
of Providence Primitive Baptist Church. The church was organized in
1842 by William J. Caudle and his wife, Sarah Daffern Caudle. In the
1840s, churches provided both spiritual and social interaction. They
also provided law and order in their own congregations. Church on
Sunday even saw "trials" using the congregation as judge and jury.
Churches' dinner-on-the-ground, which provided a day of escape from
a hard life, was an eagerly anticipated social event. Churches were
scarce at the time, so preachers were circuit riders serving four
or more churches.
Much of the cemetery was established from donated lands. The first
recorded donors were William J. and Sarah Caudle and T.M. and Harriet
Harton in 1871. There are estimated to be over 1,400 graves in this
cemetery, though there is no way to know exactly. Many people used
petrified wood, colorful glass bottles or other items for markers.
Weather and time have washed away many of these markers. Other gravestone
materials found in this cemetery consist of granite, cast iron, funeral
company marker, limestone, marble and Italian ground marble resin.
Concrete curbing was used in the earlier years to mark graves. Cemetery
features include benches, a flagpole, handcrafted local castings,
obelisks, a bronze plaque and an angel statue. Black wrought iron
fencing covers the south side with an east and west gate both with
red brick pillars and black cast iron floral gates created by a local
welder craftsman. Many veteran gravestones may be found at Providence
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2016
[Texas Escapes, in its purpose to
preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone
wishing to share photos of Providence Cemetery, please send as email
attachments to email@example.com.
"Remodeled in the 1950's. Burned down in 1970's."
- William Deneke
Photo courtesy William Deneke
More Texas Theatres
Lake Cypress Springs - 10 miles south on FM115 and FM21, offers
fishing, water sports, camping and golf.
The lake is
surrounded by public parks: Dogwood Park, Walleye Park, Overlook
Park, Mary King Park, and W. D. Guthrie Park. The Cypress Creek
Country Club offers a 9-hole golf course and a restaurant.
Vernon Hotels Book Hotel Here
Mount Vernon Tourist Information
Franklin County Chamber of Commerce - 903-537-4365.
109 South Kaufman Street, Mount Vernon, TX 75457.
A historic homes driving tour is available at the chamber.
Rebel by Mike Cox
The first time the Yankees soldiers saw Henry Clay Thruston charging
toward them through the clouds of black powder smoke they must have
rubbed their eyes in disbelief. This gray-clad Johnny Reb towered
over the other fighting men like a pine tree growing next to a bush...
home of the
tallest Civil War soldier (7'11", we have pictures!) His dogtrot
style home is still standing and is currently under renovation -
just received a state grant to turn it into a Visitor's Center.
We have a wealth of refurbished Historic properties.
GREAT SITE!!! - T Wims 9/18/2000
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history stories
and recent/vintage/historic photos, please contact