much to Vineyard but a road sign."
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2013
a Pecan Shell
is the second town in Jack County to use the name. The first (sometimes
referred to as “Old Vineyard") was founded in the 1880s by a
man named George Washington Vineyard.
The water on Mr. Vineyard’s property was too harsh for drinking, but
it cured several of Mr. Vineyard’s ailments (or so he said). The town
received a post office under the name Vineyard in 1882 but after word
started spreading of the curative properties of the water, the name
of the post office was changed to Wizard Wells, Texas (1915).
In 1899 when the Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railroad built from
Bridgeport to Jacksboro
it came within two miles of “Old Vineyard.” A new town grew around
the tracks and the name Vineyard was reemployed.
Vineyard became a shipping point for area farmers and ranchers. By
the mid 1920s, Vineyard’s population was just over 200 and the town
was doing well. Prior to being hit by the Great Depression, Vineyard
had several businesses and a brick schoolhouse.
But the Great Depression hit and then WWII.
After the war, people left in search of new jobs and the population
shrank accordingly. By the 1950s only 40 residents were reported.
It has remained more or less at that level ever since.
| Jack County
TX 1907 Postal Map
showing Vineyard (Wizard Wells)
Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact