a Pecan Shell|
Settlement began in the early 1840s, making Weston one of Collin County’s earliest
towns. Storekeeper Larkin Adamson built the town’s first store around 1850 and
is said to have named the community after his hometown in Missouri. The town was
granted a post office in the mid 1850s and found itself on the Sherman
to Dallas stage line throughout the
The 1890 census showed a population of 150 residents served by five
stores and other essential businesses. By 1896 the population had increased to
400 residents, dipping to 316 for the 1900 census. It remained at that level (more
or less) until the late 1960s when it was just over 200. From a count of 362 people
in 1990, Weston has grown to over 600 for the 2000 census.
Weston City Hall|
Photo courtesy of Mike
Christian Church Historical Marker|
On FM 455, 1 block N of FM 543
courtesy of Mike
Christian Church of WestonOriginally
located in the community of Roseland (about 5 mi. W; now known as Alla), this
congregation was organized in 1900 by Dr. and Mrs. Moses Hubbard and their neighbors.
The Roseland Church building, constructed that same year, was also used by the
Baptists, Presbyterian, and Methodist denominations. The Christian Church moved
to this site in 1914 and built a new sanctuary on land donated by Sam Dorsey.
Led by the Rev. Douglas Darnell, the congregation grew and a tabernacle was built
in the 1920s. The church remains an important part of the Weston community.