TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
 
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Hunt County TX
Hunt County
Hotels

WHITE ROCK, TEXAS

Hunt County, Central Texas North

FM 1566
About 9 Miles N of Greenville
NE of Dallas
Population: 73 est. (1980 - 2000)

Book Hotel Here › Greenville Hotels
White Rock TX, Hunt Co,  cover canceled with 1882  postmark
White Rock TX, Hunt Co, 1882  postmark info
Courtesy The John J. Germann Collection

History in a Pecan Shell

Originally named Tidwell Creek (see maps below), Texas, the early name is said to be from early settler and land grantee Esram Tidwell. The name change occurred in 1868 with the granting of a post office. It came from the abundant chalk outcroppings in the area.

The White Rock Methodist Church was organized in 1880, and services were held in the local school until a proper church was erected in 1898. White Rock had a population of 150 In the mid-1880s that supported three doctors, a store, cotton gin, gristmill and a blacksmith.

The population had increased to 200 by the late 1890s and the town added a Baptist church in 1901. As railroads expanded in Hunt County, White Rock was left out and the town experienced "death-by-railroad." The population declined to a mere 50 in the 1940s The school closed but the town was not out. The population increased to 73 from the 1970s through the 2000 census.


Historical Marker (From Greenville, take Hwy 34 about 9 miles N to FM 1566, west about 1 mile):

White Rock Community

Originally named Tidwell Creek, the settlement of White Rock began as a stop on the Sherman-Jefferson Trail. According to local tradition, the first settlers were members of the Jonas Havens family. A post office was established in 1857. Businesses in the town included stores, saloons, a blacksmith shop, a mill, and a gin. A school was in operation until the 1940s. Early traveling preachers served the religious needs of the community until two churches were organized. A decline in population occurred as a result of railroad expansion in other parts of the county.
1897

Historical Marker (From Greenville, take Hwy 34 about 9 miles N to FM 1566, west about 1 mile):

White Rock Baptist Church

The Rev. A. D. Manion, along with thirteen charter members, organized a congregation known as Pleasant View Baptist Church in 1872. A church building was erected in 1883 and served the congregation until 1901, when it was dismantled and rebuilt at White Rock on land purchased from P. W. Titus. After its relocation the name of the church was changed to White Rock Baptist Church. In 1925 a new sanctuary was built across the creek from the 1901 site. White Rock Baptist Church has been a part of Hunt County history for over one hundred years.
1987

Historical Marker (From Greenville, take Hwy 34 about 9 miles N to FM 1566, west about 1 mile) :

White Rock Methodist Church

This congregation was formally organized on November 25, 1880, by the Rev. J. T. Stanley and eleven charter members. Services were held in the White Rock Schoolhouse until a church building was constructed in 1898. The wood frame structure was destroyed in a 1907 storm and was replaced by a new building. The congregation was active in missionary activities from the beginning, and a missionary society was formed in 1924. Membership has remained steady over the years, and the church continues to serve its community as it has for the past century.
1897

More Texas Churches

TX Hunt County 1920s Map
1920s Hunt County map showing "Tidwell"
From Texas state map #10749
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
TX  Hunt County 1940s Map
1940s Hunt County map showing "Tidwell"
From Texas state map #4335

Courtesy Texas General Land Office

Take a road trip

White Rock, Texas Nearby Towns:
Greenville | Dallas
See Hunt County | Central Texas North

Book Hotel Here:
Greenville Hotels | More Hotels
Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.

 


Texas Towns A - Z Texas Regions:
Gulf Texas Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central Texas North Central Woutn Central Texas South Panhandle Texas Panhandle
South South Texas Hill Texas Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Texas Ghost Towns counties Texas Counties

Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Go to Home Page »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Cotton
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved