in a Pecan Shell|
His first name remains unknown, but itís agreed by most parties that the
community was named after a man with the last name of Whitt. First settled in
the 1870s, it had an excellent location for growth being between Weatherford
A post office didnít open
until 1877 but in the early 1880s, The Parker Institute (a Methodist High School)
opened. The estimated population was reported at 150.
The town had two
gristmills and a cotton gin as well as three churches and a weekly newspaper.
By 1900 the number of residents had increased to 500.
But without a railroad,
the townís growth was curtailed and a slow decline set in. Further hit by the
Great Depression, the town lost more residents and by 1950 the population was
down to 90. It has since declined to a mere 38 Ė as reported in the 2000 census.
County 1907 Postal Map showing Whitt|
"P" in "PARKER")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels