FM 979 and FM 2096
2 Miles E of Twin Oak Reservoir
About 20 Miles N of Franklin
Population: 000040 (2000)
Bald Prairie Area Hotels - Book Here & Save
|History in a Pecan
Established in 1865, the community was named after a common
topographical designation (bald praries). The town was granted a post office in
1875 and ten years later the population of Bald Prairie reached 100.
opportunity for growth was hindered by no railroad, and when the railroads
came and went to other portions of Robertson County, the writing was on the wall.
By 1940 the community had its post office and a single store – with no
population estimates available. The estimated regional population was given as
a mere 31 people by 1970.
A reunion is traditionally held on the first
Saturday in June.
Visit to Bald Prairie, Texas:
Bald Prairie Church Of Christ|
Photo Courtesy Barclay
Gibson, December 2008