& House - Parade for ordination of a priest
Submitted by Carolyn Heinsohn, Fayette County Historical Commission
in a Pecan Shell
In the 1850s, the town was originally named Whiteside's Prairie.
That one didn't take so they settled on Cockrill's Hill. The
ground water was so mineral rich that it was unfit for human consumption.
Citizens built cisterns to keep rainwater and in 1858 when the application
was sent to Washington for a post office, Cistern was the name submitted
- and granted. It was to close with the onset of the Great Depression
in 1930 and the mail routed from Flatonia.
Like much of Fayette County, Cistern's population consisted of Anglo-Americans
and German, and Czech immigrants. By 1900 the population was a healthy
(for a town without a railroad) 150 people. Businesses included a
store, combination drugstore / saloon, a blacksmith, cotton gin and
In 1950 the population was still 150, but by then the town had two
stores along with two garages, and a consolidated high school employing
five teachers. Oil was discovered and a few wells continue to produce
to this day - several of them inside the gates of the cemetery. During
the 1980s the population declined to 75.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact