in a Pecan Shell
(Provided by Carolyn
Heinsohn and the Fayette County Historical Commission.)
John A. Young is credited to being the community’s first settler.
In 1873 Young built the first (mule-powered) cotton gin, just east
of Colony. The gin was later moved and converted to steam power.
Other settlers arrived from Mississippi and in 1876 a Methodist Church
was built near the community cemetery. It doubled as a school.
In 1880 a Baptist Church was established and later a Carmolite Church.
John and Margaret Young donated the land to all three churches.
In 1884 when the population was around 200 residents, a post office
was granted for mail delivery three days a week. In 1906 the post
office was discontinued and thereafter it was delivered by rural carriers.
Colony peaked in the late 1800s, when it had a population of 1600.
In 1902, the community had three churches, a store, a blacksmith shop
and broom factory.
In 1914, a storm blew the Methodist Church off of its blocks, so the
school was then relocated to the Carmolite Church across the road.
Today, only the cemetery and the Methodist Chapel remain. Annual homecomings
are still held.
|Colony in 1907
postal map of Fayette
County ( SW corner)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact