in a Pecan ShellA
post office opened here in the mid 1860s and settlement is thought to be earlier.
A school built in the 1870s had 32 students by the end of that decade.
1880 the post office had closed its doors and the mail came through Weimar.
By 1940 Content was just the school and a few residences, even though over the
years it was nearly self-sufficient with its own stores and essential businesses.
Content was hampered in growth by its proximity to Weimar
and its nearby “sister-town” of New Bielau.
New Bielau shared churches and a school board
with Content. Today there is no town “center” discernible –but the New Bielau-Content
community center and the Trinity Evangelical Church provide the local landmarks.
Visiting New Bielau and Content
are photos of 2 communities united. Only a mile or so apart they seemed to be
joined in many ways. These communities were located about 4 miles south of Weimar
in Colorado County and centered close to the intersection of FM155 & FM2144. -
Community Center Being Roofed in 1955|
Photo courtesy Nesbitt Memorial Library,
Colorado County Historic School Site plaque|
Photo courtesy William
Beauchamp, December 2009
Evangelical Lutheran ChurchThe
Rev. G. Geiger organized this congregation on June 2, 1886, with a membership
of six families. The church serves two communities, Content and New
Bielau, located within one mile of each other. In 1888 the members constructed
this church building on a three-acre tract of land they purchased two years later.
A cemetery adjoins the frame structure. In 1896 a bell, named "Concordia," was
placed in the steeple. A balcony and Sunday School rooms were added to the building