a Pecan Shell
The history of
Milano began with the railroad.
In 1874 the International-Great Northern Railroad surveyed the site
of the community – about a mile and a half from the present-day site.
A post office was granted that same year.
As for the name, you can choose between an intended misspelling by
the postal authorities because the name submitted was Milam and there
was already a Milam, Texas
or it was named after Milan, Italy.
In 1881 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built a town named
“Milano Junction” alongside its tracks between Brenham
and Belton. This site,
two miles from the first Milano, was more appealing than the original
and for awhile there was “Old Milan” and Milano Junction. Over
time the Junction was dropped and the new town assumed the role of
The population reached 500 in the 1880s and Milano became a cotton
shipping point. As cotton prices
fell and the boll
weevil infested crops, farmers started growing tomatoes, cantelopes
In 1939 Milano peaked with 920 residents. By the 1970s the population
had declined to 380 and neared 500 in the late 1980s. The population
was 400 for the 2000 census.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact