in a Pecan Shell
The site was occupied prior to Texas Independence.
The name was borrowed
from the elaborate home built by Judge John Stamps (named after George Washington’s
Virginia estate). Stamps platted the community and lots were sold in 1841. As
the county population shifted westward, residents became dissatisfied with Washington
as the county seat. Judge Stamps used his office to declare Mt. Vernon the (temporary)
seat of government. An election held in 1843 had Independence, Mt. Vernon, Turkey
Creek and Brenham as contenders.
After Brenham won, Mt.
Vernon’s population shifted to the victor and what few buildings there were (including
a log courthouse) became cropland and pasture. The site was briefly used as a
Confederate training camp.
Mt. Vernon was included in Edward Bartholomew’s
Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact