History in a Pecan
in the 1870s, the community of Sharp was named after William Franklin Sharp, a
local physician. The nucleus of the town was a Presbyterian church and in 1900
the town was granted a post office (which closed six years later).
community’s name was also used when Lilac,
Duncan, and Oakville schools formed a district
in 1931. These three schools were joined by Friendship,
Val Verde and Tracy in the late 40s and early
50s, but all were combined in 1960 to the Rockdale
From only 25 residents in 1933, Sharp grew to 100 by the early
1940s. Postwar, it declined back to 60 in the early 1950s.
It has since
risen to 75 – the number given for the 2000 census.