Prairie Community Center|
TE photo, April 2010
in a Pecan ShellSettlement
began prior to the Civil War but it wasn’t until the mid 1880s that a post office
was requested and granted.
By 1890 the population remained at just 25
residents served by a drug store and store.
The population had swelled
to 400 by 1914 with other businesses being added. A school tax was levied in 1924
which allowed the residents to construct a (one teacher) school.
went into a tailspin in the 1920s and by the end of that decade the post office
was closed. The population returned to just 25 residents for the 1930 census.
WWII String Prairie started
gaining population. By the late 40s it had increased to 50 and twenty years later
it reached 75. The figure of 75 was the figure for 1990. By 2000 it had increased
to 125 residents.
Where to Stay: Smithville
Hotels | Bastrop Hotels