TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : COUNTIES : : TOPICS : : HISTORY/OPINION : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP


COLTHARP, TEXAS

Texas Ghost Town
Houston County, East Texas

CR 4700 off SH 7
About 2 Miles NE of Kennard
About 19 miles NE of Crockett
Population: 0

Coltharp, Texas Area Hotels > Crockett Hotels
Coltharp, Texas historical marker
Coltharp, Texas
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2016

History in a Pecan Shell

A storeowner and mill operator named Eli Coltharp is credited with founding the community sometime before the Civil War. A post office had been granted in 1857 and remained open through 1909. The 1880s were Coltharp's salad days. Besides being a cotton shipping point (by water, not rail), the town could boast several gins, sawmills and gristmills and (an above average for small towns) population of 150.

A school was built in 1887 and although the population had reported a drop to just 50, two years later it had increased to 100. The town had gained a doctor and the law was provided by not one, but two constables. By the mid 1890s the population dropped again, this time to seventy five residents. Businesses fell from thirteen (1884) to just two.

The 1900 census reported 113 but thereafter, no figures are available. Students were transferred to nearby Kennard in 1925 and the town went into a death spiral. By 1946 the town was even dropped from the county map.

Coltharp, Texas - Pioneer settlers of Coltharp  historical marker
Pioneer Settlers of Coltharp Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2016
Historical Marker (on CR 4700, 1.2 miles SE of SH 7)

Pioneer Settlers of Coltharp

One of Houston County's important early communities, Coltharp was settled at this site in the 1850s. Pioneer settlers included Eli and Eliza Jane Coltharp, William and Rhodey Conner, Jacob and Rhoda Gregg, Silas and Sarah Gregg, L.B. (Brice) and Frances Conner John, and Thomas J. Payne. A frame schoolhouse and masonic lodge hall, a church, and numerous stores and houses once stood at this site. The economy turned from cotton and corn to timber in the late 1880s. Bypassed by the railroad, Coltharp declined by 1925 as residents left for nearby sawmill towns.
(1985)
Coltharp, Texas historical marker
Coltharp, Texas Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2016
Historical Marker (1.5 miles E of Kennard on SH 7)

Community OF Coltharp

By the late 1850s Eli Coltharp lived beside Cochina Bayou. He opened a store and post office on the stage route west of Nacogdoches. The farm area called Coltharp Hill boasted a gin, gristmill, blacksmith and millinery shops. A school building housed Coltharp Masonic Lodge No. 419, now in Kennard. When the railroad bypassed Coltharp and a sawmill opened nearby in 1901, residents worked at the mill and farming declined. The post office closed in 1909 and Coltharp School consolidated with Kennard in 1925. Many descendants of early settlers remain in the area.
(1979)

Coltharp TX - Houston Co 1886 Postmark
Coltharp TX - Houston Co 1886 Postmark
Cover cancelled with Coltharp, Texas 1886 postmark
Courtesy The John J. Germann Collection

Coltharp, Texas Area Towns:
See Houston County | East Texas
Crockett | Nacogdoches
Book Hotels:
Crockett Hotels | More Hotels

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.




TEXAS COUNTIES

TEXAS TOWNS: A - Z
  • Central Texas - North
  • Central Texas - South
  • East Texas
  • West Texas
  • South Texas
  • Texas Hill Country
  • Texas Panhandle
  • Texas Gulf Coast

    TEXAS GHOST TOWNS: A - Z

    COLUMNS - History/Opinion

  •  

     

     


    All Texas Towns :
    Gulf Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central North Central Woutn Central South Panhandle Panhandle
    South South Texas Hill Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Ghost Towns counties COUNTIES

    TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
    HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | SEARCH SITE
    TEXAS TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS A-Z | TEXAS COUNTIES

    Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
    TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

    Texas Attractions
    TEXAS TOPICS
    People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
    COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

    TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
    Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
    Vintage Photos

    USA | MEXICO | HOTELS

    Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
    Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved