FM 2888, FM 250 and CR-2745
W of Atlanta
Miles N of Hughes Springs
About 8 Miles SE of Naples
Population: : 00030 (2000)
in a Pecan ShellSettled
prior to the Civil War, the community was first named Hamil's Chapel. It
was changed to Troup, after the county in Georgia where most of the residents
had lived before coming to Texas.
Finally, the name was changed to Cornett
after G. T. Cornett, a local landowner and his family. The community had a post
office in operation from 1901 to 1906. The only population estimates come from
1933 when 53 residents were reported, 1964 when it had fallen to 40 and 1986 when
it reached an estimated 30 – the same number used through 2000.
“Today Cornett is nothing more than a wide spot on the road.
There are several residences in the vicinity and a nice church and cemetery.
However, as the cemetery marker indicates,
over the years there have been many people who once called this place home.” -
burials here were in the 1850s, but the oldest legible stone marks the grave of
Mary Frances Hampton, who died Oct. 4, 1880. Robert Dunlap donated nine acres
of land to the cemetery and to adjacent Hamell's Chapel Methodist Church. Other
donors of land included G. T. Cornett and S. E. McCord, Fred and Sallie Hall,
and Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Trumble. Known by several names during its history, the
community burial ground was renamed "Cornett" after Cornett Post Office was established
in 1901. The cemetery contains about 295 marked and 110 unmarked graves.