a Pecan Shell|
French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle (whose statue and
marble bust stand in nearby Navasota
(Grimes County) reportedly camped in the area as early as 1687. La Salle reported
a cluster of Indian huts on the site that would eventually be named for settler
J. B. Dacus. In the early 1820s, settler Francis A. B. Wheeler homesteaded here.
Wheeler was lonely and in order to have neighbors to talk to he offered plots
of land to newly-arrived families.
Dacus was granted a post office in
1889 although the mail was only received semi-weekly. Things were quiet in Dacus
but around 1907 the railroad arrived. In this case it was the Trinity and Brazos
Valley Railroad. In the mid-teens Dacus had a respectable population of 100 with
two stores and a blacksmith.
There was little to report from the 20s
through the 40s, but after WWII
the railroad became part of the Burlington Northern and Rock Island. Dacus was
already in decline by that time - with just the depot, a church, and a few houses.
Another change of ownership occurred in 1962 the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific
absorbed the railroad. It has since become the Burlington Northern - Santa Fe
(BNSF). (See also Texas Railroads.)
The population was reported as 161 in the early 1970s - a figure that the
census felt comfortable with since they've been using it to the present).
Dacus has kept its store, church and the town's two highway nameplates are
both mounted on the same pole.
Center of Activity|
Photo courtesy Ken
Rudine, October 2007
Texas Memorial Cross|
TE photo, May 2006