in a Pecan Shell
Once known as Penn, Texas after a prominent local family, the community
appeared in the late 1850s.
It wasn’t until the 1870s when the first store
opened and a post office called Penn was in operation from 1874 through
The population in 1885 was 60 residents with most essential business
in place. It reached a population of 100 in the early 1890s and sometime after
the closing of the post office (between 1906 and 1915) the name was changed to
Greenwood to honor another local family.
The community was still intact
in the mid-1930s although the number of business was reduced to two. The 1940
census showed just 50 residents which declined to 35 in the 1970s where it has
remained through the 2000 census.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos of Greenwood, Texas or their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels