TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

TX Courthouses
Texas Courthouses
Texas Counties

Texas Towns
A - Z
Henderson Hotels

More Hotels


Texas | Architecture | Courthouses

County Seat - Henderson, Texas

Rusk County has had four courthouses:
1843, 1850, 1878/79 and 1928

Book Hotels Here › Henderson Hotels

Henderson TX - 1928 Rusk County Courthouse
Rusk County courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007

The Present Rusk County Courthouse

Date: 1928
Architect: Curtis & Thomas, and A. C. Gentry
Style: Classical Revival style (Texas Renaissance)
Material: Concrete and brick
Rusk County courthouse,  Henderson Texas 1939
The 1928 Rusk County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939
Photo courtesy TXDoT


by Terry Jeanson

Although settlement in this area of Texas began in the early 1830s, Rusk County wasn’t organized until 1843, cut from Nacogdoches County to the south. It was named after a veteran of the Texas Revolution, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and Texas political leader General Thomas Jefferson Rusk. Early area settlers such as General James Smith (the namesake of Smith County) and William B. Ochiltree (the namesake of Ochiltree County) donated land for the creation of the county seat of Henderson, named for their friend and the first governor of the state of Texas, James Pinckney Henderson.

The county’s first courthouse was of log construction built in 1843. This structure was demolished for the building of the second courthouse in 1850. The contractors were Cadawaller W. Chaney, Joseph D. Johnson and John Henderson. On August 5, 1860, during a devastatingly hot and dry summer, a fire nearly destroyed the entire business district in Henderson and damaged the courthouse. The fire was blamed on a pro-Union abolitionist named Green Herndon who was implicated by a Black woman who confessed that Herndon had hired her to start the fire. A mob tied Herndon to a horse and dragged him around the square until he died then hung him from a tree and shot bullets into his lifeless corpse. The 1850 courthouse was subsequently repaired, but the building was finally destroyed by fire in March of 1878. That year, the construction of the third courthouse began. Built at the highest elevation in the original townsite, it dominated the surrounding landscape and could be seen for miles. Designed by Austin architect F.E. Ruffini, it was a red brick and stone, Second Empire style building with an Italianate style clock tower. The courthouse had chimneys, an elaborate cornice, pediments at the roof line over the entrances, balconies over the central entrances on each side and pilasters between each bay of windows which had segmented and round arches in contrasting colors. Ruffini designed a similar looking courthouse for Gregg County in 1879. He would go on to design several more Texas courthouses until his death in 1885.

By the late 1920s, the third courthouse was deemed too small and unsafe so it was decided to construct a new one. To alleviate traffic around the courthouse square, the fourth courthouse was built two blocks north of it on top of a small hill. When the 1878/79 courthouse was demolished, it left a large open intersection at the conjunction of North and South Main streets and East and West Main streets (an unusual distinction in the state’s courthouse squares.) The fourth and current courthouse was constructed in 1928 and designed by Dallas architect Arthur E. Thomas with his architectural partner Corneil G. Curtis and associate architect A.C. Gentry. The concrete and brick courthouse is in the Classical Revival style (the style of this courthouse is also referred to as Texas Renaissance) with Art-Moderne style details. This four story building of stepped massing has a parapet roof and a raised basement and the main entrances lead up to the second floor. Each entrance is surrounded with smooth concrete with a panel over the entrance that has a pair of carved gargoyles looking at each other with a wreath and empty shield between them. The building’s modest ornamentation includes brick pilasters between each bay of windows with carvings in their capitals and festoons on the spandrels between the second and third floor windows.

An oil boom more than tripled Henderson’s population between 1930 and 1933 and in 1936, an addition in the same architectural style and detail was added to the west side of the courthouse, designed by the building’s original architect, Arthur E. Thomas. Although the interior has received modern renovations over the years, the exterior remains virtually unchanged and this courthouse continues to serve the county today.

Terry Jeanson, August 27, 2013

County history and biographical information from The Handbook of Texas Online. Courthouse information from The Texas Historical Commission’s County Atlas at http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/shell-desig.htm National Register of Historic Places: Henderson Commercial Historic District, The Courthouses of Texas by Mavis P. Kelsey & Donald H. Dyal, 2007 and The People’s Architecture: Texas Courthouses, Jails, and Municipal Buildings by Willard B. Robinson, 1983.

Rusk County courthouse,  Henderson Texas
Same view of the Rusk County Courthouse in 2005
Photo courtesy Lori Martin
Henderson TX - 1928 Rusk County Courthouse
Courthouse side entrance
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007
Henderson TX - 1928 Rusk County Courthouse architectural detail
Courthouse architecural detail
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007
Henderson TX - 1928 Rusk County Courthouse gargoyle
Henderson TX - 1928 Rusk County Courthouse gargoyles

L - Courthouse griffin detail
R - Twin griffins with blank crest
TE photos, 5-03
More Texas Gargoyles

Henderson TX - Rusk County Courthouse Cornerstone
The 1928 Rusk County Courthouse cornerstone
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007
Rusk County Courthouse cornerstone, Henderson Texas
F. E. Ruffini 1878 Courthouse Cornerstone
Darling & Redwine Contractors
TE photo, 5-03
More Texas Cornerstones
Rusk County marker, Texas
Rusk County center of county marker
on the courthouse lawn

TE photo, 5-03
Henderson TX - Thomas Jefferson Rusk Statue
Memorial statue to the county's namesake, Thomas Jefferson Rusk, stands at the front of the courthouse.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007
More Texas Monuments & Statues

Henderson, Texas
Rusk County
More Texas Courthouses

Related Topics:
Texas Towns
Texas Counties
Texas Architecture
Texas Images

Book Hotel Here
Henderson Hotels
More Hotels











































Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Rooms with a Past

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Pitted Dates
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
Texas Centennial

Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Contact Us

Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved