Site of the
Town of Homer
Also known as Angelina
Third County Seat of Angelina
a Pecan Shell
the Angelina County Seat in 1858 after defeating Jonesville
in a contested election. Homerís name was changed to Angelina
at this time, but the name didnít gain favor and it was officially
changed back to Homer in 1862.
Marion, Texas (being the first Angelina
County seat) had retained the countyís first (log) courthouse. Since
Jonesville never built
one, the courthouse was dismantled and moved to Homer where it was
used until it was replaced by a two-story frame building in 1873.
Homer became the countyís most important town Ė with only Lufkin
as a near rival. The tables were turned in the early 1880s when
the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad bypassed Homer in favor
of the more direct path through Lufkin.
Homer, even at its high-water mark never had more than 500 residents
but the bypassing didnít cause it to wither. It retained the courthouse
and a population in the 300s through the rest of the 1880s.
In late 1891, Homerís courthouse burned. The more prosperous city
of Lufkin became
county seat the following year. This official shift did cost Homer
its population. By 1904 the population was down to 166 people and
ten years later it was a mere 75. It increased in the 20s to just
over a hundred. It received a shot in the arm in the 1960s and was
incorporated in 1971. The population had increased to 360 by the
1990s Ė with that figure given to the 2000 Census.
Lufkin - Angelina
by Bob Bowman
Angelina County Sheriff William Reed (Bill) McMullen was one of
the men who was killed during a feud between the Gilley and Windham
families at Homer in the 1860s. The seeds for the feud were sown
by two incidents...
County TX 1907 Postal Map showing Homer
"G" in "ANGELINA")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact