in a Pecan ShellSettled
in the late 1840s and named for the nomadic Kickapoo Indians who also lent their
name to the nearby creek, Kickapoo was granted a post office by 1850.
By the mid 1880s, the community had a church, two stores, a school and a saloon.
At this time the population was around 100 residents – not a bad showing for the
But prosperity didn’t last. In the 1880s and 1890s the community
lost a store and the population fell to a mere twenty-five.
Hopes of revival
were dashed in 1900 when the railroad chose to build through Frankston
instead of Kickapoo. The Kickapoo post office closed in 1905 (although it still
appears on the 1907 Postal Map). Many of Kickapoo’s residents relocated to Frankston.
It was soon dropped from inclusion on most maps of the region.
1907 Anderson County Postal
Map showing Kickapoo
"SON" in ANDERSON, N of Palestine)
Texas General Land Office