a Pecan Shell
The community was built near the rails of the Kansas and Gulf Short
Line Railroad in 1884. Dr. James Selman, donated land for the new
town and so it was named in his honor. Mount Selman drew population
from the bypassed town of Larissa
- 3 miles west. Investors in the new town were none other than the
movers and shakers of Larissa.
post office was applied for - another town named Selman existed -
so the prefix was added to avoid confusion and lost mail.
The population was 125 by 1892 and Mount Selman had all the businesses
required for continued growth. Fruit and tomatoes were major crops.
In 1914 the town reached its zenith with 500 people calling the place
In the early 1950s Mount Selman's population had dropped to just over
200. The post office closed in 1973 and the population remains estimated
at around 200.
|The old and new
Baptist Church in Mount Selman
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, July 2007
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact