in a Pecan ShellOnce
called Mount Vernon, the change of name may have been as a result of another
post office already using that name. But Pert did have a post office, although
it was short-lived (1899-1895).
After closing, the former post office
building served as both church and school.
By 1915 Pert had a population
of 200 and was thriving around a sawmill economy. In the 1920s the town had a
cotton gin and gristmill as well as store and school.
But as the timber
played out, so did Pertís economy. By the end of the Great Depression, the community
had only twenty residents served by a single business.
A 1992 count showed
Pert to have 35 people, but it returned to a count of twenty in the year 2000.
only structure remaining of Pert is this church. I didn't see a cemetery."
Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church Historical
Vernon United Methodist ChurchEarly
denominational records indicate that this congregation was in existence as a mission
church as early as 1880. In 1896, A. L. and Susanna Herrington donated one acre
to the county to be used for a free school. A one-room school building was erected
on the site, on Walnut Creek twelve miles north of Palestine
and also served as a church meeting place. The community was known as Mount Vernon,
and the Methodist church assumed that name, also. The one-room building was moved
in 1907 two miles north of its original location, and two rooms were added to
the structure for the growing school. The congregation continued to meet in the
building until 1913, when this site, across the road from the school building,
was deeded to the Mount Vernon Methodist Episcopal Church, South. A sanctuary
was completed the same year. The church has maintained active programs over the
years, and has served as a training ground for many young ministers and student
pastors from nearby Lon Morris College. For over one hundred years, the Mount
Vernon Methodist Church has served as a center for its rural community.
Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
1907 Anderson County Postal
Map showing Pert NE of Palestine|
"O" in ANDERSON)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office