County, East Texas
State Highway 8 and FM 995
8 Miles N of Linden
12 Miles W of Atlanta
Population: 00028 (2000)
History on a PinheadThe
red clay of the banks of Frazier’s Creek inspired the name. Settler William Lambert
did the naming. The community was granted a post office in 1878, although it closed
Red Hill reached its high water mark in the mid 1880s when 130
residents called it home and it had three churches, a school and both a sawmill
The community’s early businesses were fickle and by the
1890 census, many had left, seeking greener pastures.
A mere 30 people
remained. This was to become the average figure for the town’s population for
the entire 20th Century and the first decade of the 21st. The 1983 population
was 20, which grew to 28 for the 2000 census.