HILL, TEXAS Upshur
County, East Texas
FM 555 at Goldenroad Road
About 7 Miles NW of Gilmer
About 17 Miles N of Longview
Sand Hill, Texas Area Hotels:
in a Pecan Shell|
W. A. Bland is generally accepted as the town
founder. He named the future town for the abundant beds of sand around 1898.
Although no population figures are available, there were enough children to make
a school necessary in the first few years of the 20th Century.
seem to be the community’s peak years. After the school merged with another district
a decline set in and by the 1960s only a cemetery was left with two churches and
It is now what is called a “dispersed rural community”
with an estimated population of 75.
Sand Hill is 7-miles northwest of Gilmer,
7-miles west of Ore City, 17-miles north of Longview,
7-miles northwest of Diana.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic,
endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local
history, stories, or vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here