in a Pecan Shell
Spivey, named after
a local family, came into being in the 1860s but it wasn’t until 1890
when the community was granted a post office (Isaac Spivey was the
In 1896 Spivey reported a population of 50 but its growth was hampered
by its proximity to Paxton. By 1903
the post office had closed and residents drifted toward Paxton.
The Great Depression and the effects of WWII
pushed the town into oblivion. By the mid 1940s, the town had disappeared,
leaving only the Friendship Baptist Church and the Friendship cemetery.
| Historical Marker
1870s-1900 Town of
Founded by Civil
War veteran James Jackson Spivey; brothers Elisha P. and George W.
Spivey lived nearby. In early days mail arrived by wagon. Houston
East & West Texas Railroad crossed the founder's land, building Spivey
Station, 1886. During late 1880s Hicks Lumber Mill and workers' houses
were erected. U. S. Post Office was established in 1891, with Isaac
W. Spivey, postmaster. Friendship Baptist Church was organized in
1890s with James M. Spivey, pastor. After 1900, town gradually moved
over to Paxton Switch. Friendship Cemetery,
with 33 graves, marks the old site.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact