Marker Text |
Frio County Jail Oldest
building in town. Built in 1884 for $11,000. Style typical of era. Used as jail
and jailer's residence until 1967.
Second story and part of the first
housed jail. Two separate cells were added in 1885 for female or juvenile prisoners
or for the insane. For years a well on the premises supplied water. During prohibition
in early 20th century, confiscated bootleg liquor was stored by law officers in
one of cells.
Texas Historic Landmark -1970
Frio County Jail Historical Marker|
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, December 2009
Chamber of Commerce:|
In the Old Frio County Jail Museum - 830-334-9414.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact