| On U.S. 83
"The Nicholson School Marker and Storm Cellar are in Collingsworth
County about 15 miles north of Wellington."
- Barclay Gibson
Once the center
of a thriving agricultural community, Nicholson School was named
for county judge Arthur Clyde Nicholson, during whose term the school
was opened in 1915. As Nicholson School increased in enrollment,
reaching a peak of 150 students in 1929, additional teachers and
classrooms were added. Consolidation with other rural schools began
in 1934 and was completed in 1937, when the last classes at Nicholson
School were held. A concrete cellar near this site is all that remains
of the original school property.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered
and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local
history, stories, and vintage/historic photos, please contact