in a Pecan Shell
Zaragosa when it was founded in 1919, the named was confused
with the Reeves County
town of Saragosa,
which prompted a change of name in 1931 to Delmita.
The town founder was Nicéforo G. Peña, Sr who moved his family here
and opened the first store. The community was a rest stop for the
horseback mailman who rode from Linn to Rio
Grande City. The name Delmita comes from letters from the names
of Peña’s seven sons. The population was a mere 20 in 1940 and both
school and church eventually merged with those in San
Isidro. The town received a new post office building in 1991.
home is constructed of mud and hay and color concrete gave it the
outside and inside beautiful view. Within the two years we purchase
the place we have added an area to enjoy the birds and a storage room.
The cattle water troughs in front of the adobe house has a date of
1928" - Juan Cantu, October 04, 2012
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact