a Pecan Shell This
town with its chamber-of-commerce name is now little more than a cemetery.
as an irrigated-farm project in the late 1920s, it received mail at its own post
office for less than a year (1944-45).
Even the town’s railroad depot went
by another name (Santa Cruz). The population was a mere ten people in 1940 and
the town has now merged into Santa Cruz and La Puerta.
Starr County map showing Santa Cruz and La Puerta|
(East of Rio
Grande City, below first "AR" in "STARR")
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history or vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here