a Pecan ShellOnce
included in the Santa Cruz de Concepción land grant, the village took its name
from that source when a post office opened in 1906.
There were enough
families to warrant the post office and provide 19 pupils for the local school.
Although little is recorded of the town’s early years, it was reported that Santa
Cruz had a population of 100 (supported by three businesses) in the mid 1930s.
the years the businesses dwindled until there were none and the death-blow came
in the 1960s when the school merged with the Premont
ISD. Today only two cemeteries remain.
Duval County map showing Santa Cruz N of Falfurrias
near Duval/Jim Wells County line. Courtesy Texas General Land Office|
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
Cruz, Texas Area Hotels
|Save on Hotels
- Expedia Affiliate