TexasEscapes.com Texas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 1800 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP : : SEARCH SITE
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
San Antonio Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in
San Antonio
Book Today and Save
 
  Texas : Towns A-Z : South Texas :

ELMENDORF, TEXAS

Bexar County, South Texas
FM 327 at the Southern Pacific Railroad Tracks
17 Miles SE of downtown San Antonio

Population: 664 (2000)

Book Your Hotel Here & Save
San Antonio Hotels

History in a Pecan Shell

The town dates from 1885 and was named to honor Henry Elmendorf, a former mayor of San Antonio
. Henry went from politics to entrepreneur and is also credited with opening the area’s first brick factory. But the credit for discovering the properties of the clay belongs to W. F. Saenger.

A post office was granted in 1886, and by 1890 the town had a population of 50. By 1914 it had nine general stores (which may be a record for a small town at that time), a cotton gin, hotel, and nearly 300 people.

The local economy revolved around Star Clay Products, which manufactured bricks for kilns and fire-proofing.

Comfortable with its 300 residents, the town retained that figure until the 1950s. It declined to 200 but then expanded to 568 residents for the 1990 census. In the late 1930s, the town became forever-connected with a grisly axe-murder in which the woman victim was fed to “pet” alligators.

Elmendorf, Texas Scenes

Photos courtesy Terry Jeanson
Elmendorf., Texas grocery store
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2008
More Texas Stores
First Baptist Church in Elmendorf., Texas
First Baptist Church in Elmendorf
More Texas Churches
St. Anthony Catholic Church in Elmendorf., Texas
St. Anthony Catholic Church in Elmendorf
More Texas Churches
Statue in front of the St. Anthony Catholic Church, Elmendorf Texas
Statue in front of the St. Anthony Catholic Church
More Texas Statues
Elmendorf Texas 1920s sandstone house
"This stone house is well known in Elmendorf. Built in the 1920s from sandstone quarried in a nearby field, the house also contains a myriad of other objects, including discarded brick from the town's brick plant, pieces of petrified wood, shards of broken pottery and melted pieces of plastic sewer pipe from the factory in nearby Saspamco." - Terry Jeanson, March, 2008
See Texas Architecture
Old, stone railroad marker, Elmendorf Texas
This piece of an old, stone railroad marker was also incorporated into the house. See Texas Railroads
Cistern in  Elmendorf, Texas
Cistern in front of the stone house in Elmendorf.
Cistern date of construction,  Elmendorf Texas
Cistern date of construction
Old store in downtown Elmendorf. Texas
Old store in downtown Elmendorf
Above photos courtesy Terry Jeanson, March 2008
More Texas Stores
Book Your Hotel Here & Save
San Antonio Hotels
More Hotels
 
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | MAPS

TEXAS FEATURES
Ghosts | People | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Black History | Rooms with a Past | Music | Animals | Books
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Stores | Banks | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Drive-by Architecture | Old Neon | Murals | Signs | Ghost Signs | Then and Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright ©1998-2008. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
This page last modified: March 13, 2008