County, South Texas
About 5 Miles SE of George West
On the Nueces
Population: 00010 (2000)
in a Pecan ShellPeter
Mikeska, a Moravian Czech settled here in the early 1890s. Enough people had clustered
around Miskeska’s ranch to request a post office which was opened in 1903.
the arrival of the San Antonio, Uvalde, and Gulf Railroad in 1916, a proper town
was platted and the future looked so promising that in 1918, there was thought
of usurping the county seat status of George West.
The hopes were too high.
The number of residents only numbered 100 in
the mid 1920s but the community had a school and essential businesses. Mr. Mikeska
took a very active interest in his town which became evident upon his death in
1928. The population declined overnight and the community’s nearness to George
West gave businesses no reason to open (or stay) in Mikeska.
office, closed sometime after WWII
and today only unpaved roads and scattered residences mark what was once thought
to be a rival to the county seat.
|Book Hotel Here