Dolores A Visita Centennial Marker Text:
In the Vicinity
of This Site was
1750 as a part of José de Escandons Project to Settle the Region and
Civilize and Christianize the Indians.
Mission Dolores A Visita
Full view of
Gibson, September 2011
is on high land above the Rio Grande just west of U.S. Highway 83
twenty miles south of Laredo
in the northwestern corner of Zapata
County. It is on land that originally belonged to José Vázquez
Borrego, who established a ranch, Nuestra Señora de los Dolores Hacienda
(also known as Nuestra Señora de Dolores), on the north bank of the
Rio Grande in 1750. Nueva Dolores is two miles upriver from the
original ranch headquarters, known as Dolores."
- From: John Hazelton, "NUEVA DOLORES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online
January 09, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact