in a Pecan Shell
First there was the King Ranch. Then Henrietta King sold off enough
land for the railroad (the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway)
to build to Brownsville.
In 1903, Robert Justus Kleberg formed the Kleberg Town and Improvement
Company and three miles east of the ranch, they started the town,
naming it after Richard King.
In 1904, a post office opened and railroad passenger
service came through.
The railroad located their headquarters and shops there and one-third
of the population of Kingsville were railroad employees. By 1912 the
population was 4,000.
The King Ranch built a hotel, an ice factory (now a museum), a cotton
gin and the Henrietta
King High School.
In 1913 Kleberg
County was formed with Kingsville designated
the county seat. In 1920 natural gas was found and piped into homes
and businesses. In 1925 South Texas Teachers College was opened and
in 1929, it underwent a name change to Texas College of Arts and Industries
and then in 1993 it finally became Texas A&M University at Kingsville.
The Naval Air Station, Kingsville was opened in 1942 as the Kingsville
Naval Auxiliary Station and during World
War II the base housed between 6,000 and 7,000 personnel. The
base closed in 1946, but reopened in 1951.
Texas Landmarks & Attractions
Photo courtesy Martha Rogers Ward Garbarino Photo Collection
Martins Catholic Church
Photo courtesy Gerald
Massey, October 2010
Chamber of Commerce
635 E. King Kingsville, Texas 78363
Local call: (361) 592-6438
Long Distance: 1-888-223-0633 Fax: (361) 592-0866
Kingsville Convention and Visitors Bureau
1501 Highway 77 Kingsville, Texas 78363
(361) 592-8516 or (800) 333-5032
> Book Hotel Here
TE photo October 2203
TE photo October 2003
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact