TexasEscapes.com  
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
TEXAS TOWNS
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine
Texas | Architecture | Courthouses

SHACKELFORD COUNTY COURTHOUSE
County Seat - Albany, Texas
Shackelford County

Shackelford County has had two courthouses:
1875 and 1883
Albany TX - 1883 Shackelford County Courthouse
The 1883 Shackelford County Courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, January 2007

The Present Shackelford County Courthouse
- Albany, Texas

Date - 1883
Architect - J. E. Flanders
Style - Second Empire
Material - Native limestone
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Hwy 6 & Hwy180


Photographer's Note:
"The 1883 Shackelford County courthouse was the first courthouse restored under the Texas Historical Commission's Courthouse Preservation Program. It was rededicated on June 30, 2001. The architect, James Edward Flanders, designed eight or nine Second Empire style courthouses in Texas during the late 1800s, but the one in Shackelford County is the only one that remains." - Terry Jeanson
Historical Marker Text

Shackelford County Courthouse

Built 1883-84 from plans by J. E. Flanders of Dallas, architect for several other 1880s Texas courthouses. Edgar Rye of Albany was construction superintendent. Kilted Scottish Masons erected the walls of stone quarried a few miles southwest of town. The foundations rest two feet deep on "natural concrete" (caliche). Budgeted at $27,000.00; final cost was $49,433.75. Clock tower was added at public's request.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1962
Albany TX - 1883 Shackelford County Courthouse Historical Marker
Shackelford County courthouse historical marker
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, January 2007
Albany TX - 1883 Shackelford County Courthouse Clock Tower
"Detail of the courthouse's clock tower. Although it would add to the cost of the construction, county residents requested the addition of a clock tower to their courthouse."
- Terry Jeanson
Albany TX - 1883 Shackelford County Courthouse Interior
"The main floor hallway exhibits much of the building's detailed woodwork." - Terry Jeanson
Albany TX - 1883 Shackelford County Courthouse District Courtroom
"The centrally located, two-story district courtroom on the second floor rises from the front to the rear, enabling the judge to see everyone in the courtroom." - Terry Jeanson
Albany, Texas Shackelford County Courthouse
Shackelford County Courthouse today
Photo courtesy Lexie Nichols and Jordan Gibson, August 2007
Shackelford County Courthouse, albany Texas old photo
Shackelford County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939
Photo Courtesy TXDoT
Shackelford County Courthouse, Albany, Texas
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, October 2002
Albany, Texas Shackelford County Courthouse
More View of the courthouse
Photo courtesy Steve Johnson, May 2007
Shackelford County Courthouse, Albany, Texas old photo
Another early view of the courthouse
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
The 1875 Shackelford County Courthouse
"Shackelford County was organized in 1874 and Albany beat out Fort Griffin for the county seat. County Sheriff H.C. Jacobs donated the land for the first county courthouse and in 1875, a 420' x 420' courthouse of picket construction was built in the middle of the courthouse square. In 1883, this building was removed from the square by restaurant owner Charles Hartfield and was used as a boarding house for the workers hired to construct the current courthouse. Courthouse offices were located in the Ballow-Keener building, a two-story stone building that stood on the northeast corner of the square, until the new courthouse was completed." - Terry Jeanson

Source - Texas Historical Commission County Atlas - National Register of Historic Places at http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/shell-desig.htm

See Albany, Texas
Shackelford County
More Texas Courthouses

Related Topics:

Texas
Texas Town List
Texas Counties
Texas Architecture
Texas Images

Book Hotel Here
Abilene Hotels
Eastland Hotels
More Hotels

Custom Search
TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS FEATURES
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes. All Rights Reserved