TexasEscapes.com  
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
TEXAS TOWNS
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine
Texas | Architecture | Courthouses

FANNIN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
County Seat - Bonham, Texas

Book Hotel Here > Bonham Hotels
Fannin county courthouse, Bonham, Texas
Fannin County Courthouse
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
Date - 1889
Architect - W.C. Dodson and Dudley
Material - Limestone
Fire and drastic remodeling have changed it, but remains the same structure built in 1889.
Historical Marker (on the Courthouse Square):

FANNIN COUNTY COURTHOUSE

Commissioners Court first met at Jacob Black's cabin on Feb. 26, 1836, before Fannin County was officially organized. In 1838 Warren (near present Ambrose in Grayson County) was named the county seat. The courthouse built there in 1840 was a two-story oak and cedar structure with rough plank floors. In 1843 the county seat was moved to Bois d'Arc; town's name was changed to Bonham, for an Alamo hero, the next year. Judge John P. Simpson donated land for the small log courthouse of 1843. Later another cabin was built with a breezeway connecting the two. In the early courthouse jurors sat above the courtroom in a loft that could be reached only by an outside ladder. This log building served until 1881 when a two-story brick structure was erected at the same location. This was replaced in 1888 by a 3-story courthouse made of native stone from Gober, south of Bonham, and built by Scottish-born stonemasons Kane and Cormack. Fire in 1929 destroyed the clock steeple, and the building was remodeled. Using part of the 1888 structure, this courthouse was constructed in 1965-66 with a facade of Leuders stone. It was dedicated by Governor John Connally.
1974

The 3-story Fannin County Courthouse in 1917, before the fire in 1929 destroyed the clock steeple
Postcard courtesy THC
Bonhamn, Texas - Fannin County  courthouse
Fannin County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939
Photo courtesy TXDoT
Fannin County Courthouse
P
ostcard courtesy .rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
Fannin County Courthouse in the 1950s
Postcard courtesy .rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
Fannin County Courthouse in the 1960s
Postcard courtesy .rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
See Bonham, Texas | Fannin County
More Texas Courthouses |
Texas Counties

Related Topics:

Texas
Texas Town List
TE Online Magazine
Texas Architecture
Texas Images

Book Hotel Here
Bonham Hotels
More Hotels
Custom Search
TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS FEATURES
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes. All Rights Reserved