TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Cameron County TX
Cameron County

Texas Towns
A - Z
Brownsville Hotels

Texas | Architecture | Courthouses

ERON COUNTY COURTHOUSE
County Seat - Brownsville, Texas

Cameron County has had three courthouses:
1882, 1912 and 1978

Book Hotel Here › Brownsville Hotels
The present 1978 Cameron County Courthouse , Brownsville Texas
Cameron County Courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, December 2006

The Present Cameron County Courthouse
- Brownsville, Texas

Date - 1978
Architect - SHWC Inc
Style - modern
Material - concrete
The restored 1912 Cameron County Courthouse, Brownsville Texas
The 1912 Cameron County Courthouse has been beautifully restored and was rededicated on October 17, 2006.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, December 2006

The 1912 Cameron County Courthouse
- Brownsville, Texas

1150 E Madison, Brownsville

Architect - Atlee B. Ayres
Style - Texas Renaissance
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

Book Hotel Here > Brownsville Hotels
Historical Marker

1912 Cameron County Courthouse

This classically styled public building has been central for Cameron County government for nearly a century. Texas and Mexico both claimed this area after 1836. The Texas Legislature created Cameron County in 1848, even before the land was officially made part of Texas and the U.S. by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

Named for Scottish-born Ewen Cameron (c. 1811-1843), a soldier killed during the Mier Expedition, the county was one of the largest in the state until additional counties were later carved from its territory. Santa Rita (5 mi. NW) was the first county seat before voters chose Brownsville in Dec. 1848. For a generation there was no formal courthouse, as county officials conducted business in homes and rented commercial space.

Cameron County built its first courthouse in 1882-83 at 1131 E. Jefferson, conducting business there for thirty years before the Rio Grande Masonic Lodge AF&AM No. 81 bought the building. In October 1911, citizens of the growing county voted 1058-148 in favor of a new $200,000 courthouse. San Antonio architect Atlee B. Ayres (1873-1969) designed this building, as well as a new county jail at 1201 E. Van Buren, and both county buildings were completed in 1913. The Classical Revival style rectangular cross axial plan courthouse is three stories with an elevated basement. The brick exterior features banded ground floor courses, Corinthian columns and pilasters, a dome and a classical parapet with terra cotta trim. The interior is notable for its octagonal rotunda and elaborate art-glass dome. When the county built a new courthouse in 1981, this site remained for county offices and was renamed the Dancy Building for Oscar C. Dancy (1879-1971), who served 48 years as county judge within these walls from 1921-33 and 1935-71.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000
 1912 Cameron County Courthouse, Brownsville Texas
Another view of the 1912 Cameron County Courthouse
Photo courtesy Ken Rudine, February 2007
Former Cameron County Courthouse, Brownsville, Texas
1912 Cameron County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939
Photo courtesy TXDoT
1912 Cameron County Courthouse Stained Glass  Rotunda Skylight Brownsville Texas
The restored stained glass rotunda skylight
1912 Cameron County Courthouse

Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, December 2006
Brownsville TX - Cameron County Courthouse Skylight

Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, December 2006

Cameron County courthouse, Brownsville , Texas
The Cameron County Courthouse - still brand new in 1918.
Photo courtesy Jim Gesler, Wyoming, New York
1882 Cameron County Courthouse, Brownsville, Texas
The 1882 courthouse with the clock tower
Postcard circa 1909 courtesy texasoldphotos.com
The 1882 Cameron County Courthouse
- Brownsville, Texas
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
1131 E. Jefferson Street, Brownsville

Book Hotel Here > Brownsville Hotels
Historical Marker:
Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914
Completed in 1883, this was the first courthouse built by Cameron County officials, who previously rented or purchased office space. This three-story brick structure served as the county courthouse until 1914, when a new building was erected. Rio Grande Lodge No. 81, A.F.&A.M., then occupied this structure. The original roof, with its gables and central tower, was removed during remodeling.
1962
1882 Cameron County Courthouse, Brownsville Texas Rio Grande Masonic Lodge No. 81.

The 1882 Cameron County Courthouse today.
(Now the Rio Grande Masonic Lodge No. 81.)

Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, December 2006

Research and photos by Terry Jeanson

See Brownsville, Texas
More Texas Courthouses

Related Topics:
Texas
Texas Towns
Texas Counties
Texas Architecture
Texas Images

Book Hotel Here
Brownsville Hotels
More Hotels

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Cotton
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved