From "Monuments Commemorating the Centenary of Texas Independence", State of Texas,
1938. Courtesy Sarah
must see in Brownsville is the Stillman House
Museum at 1305 E. Washington. Charles Stillman was a Riverboat Captain along with
Captains King and Kenedy who operated the Steamboats plying the River as far west
as Rio Grande City
and Roma. King and Kenedy received
large tracts of land in lieu of payment for transporting troops during the Mexican
War. Two counties immediately North of the Valley bear their names. Mr. Stillman
enjoyed the River too much to leave it.
Home of Charles Stillman 1810-1875" Texas
Centennial Marker - Photo courtesy Marion Koehne Anderson ,
Marker Text: 1818-1875
Brownsville Home of
Founder of Brownsville and partner in firm
of M. Kenedy and Company which opened the Rio Grande to steamboat navigation and
controlled much of the commerce of northern Mexico, 1848-1868.
erected about 1850, was the birthplace of
of the National City Bank of New York, 1891-1909.