Brown County Courthouse -
The 1917 courthouse
is a remodeled version of the 1884
one. According to The Courthouses of Texas book by Donald
Dyal and Mavis Kelsey, the remodeling was so complete that only
the vault was left untouched.
Remodeled by San Antonio
architect Henry T. Phelps.
Style - Classical Revival
Material - Brick
of Brown County
County, created in 1856 and organized two years later, has had
four courthouses. Pioneer settler Welcome William Chandler donated
land for the first courthouse, a log cabin. The county moved the building
twice, first two miles to the Billy Connell Farm, then to this site
after Greenleaf Fisk’s donation of land for a new townsite resolved
an 1868 dispute. Commissioners also added a second story to the structure.
A combination courthouse and jail built in 1876 served only four years
before it burned. Waco
architectural firm Dodson & Dudley designed a new building in 1884.
The current Classical Revival courthouse, built in 1917-18, incorporated
interior walls and vaults from the prior structure.
Brown County Courthouse
as it appeared in 1939
Photo courtesy TXDoT
Courthouse in the 1940s
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
| Brown County
Photo courtesy Terry
|1884 Brown County
Courthouse in the early 1900s before remodeling
Photo courtesy texasoldphotos.com