First Phillips 66 Retail Outlet in Texas – 1928
vintage 1928 gas service station, designed in “Cottage Fashion” and often called
a “Doll House” was started in 1927 after Congress authorized a coast-to-coast
highway called Route 66. Finished in 1928, the station operated under different
owners and brands of products until the Interstate system came into being.
Company records show this station was the first Phillips Petroleum Company
retail outlet built outside Oklahoma at the time. Renovated in 1992 by local citizens
under the auspices of the Old Route
66 Association of Texas, this now famous Route
66 Icon is the most photographed property all along Route
66. The site is owned and maintained by the Texas Route 66 Association.
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate Network|