burial plot at nearby settlement of Ben
Ficklin, after flood of Aug. 24, 1882, washed away the town and
inundated the cemetery, exposing many graves. Charles B. Metcalfe,
nephew of Col. Francis C. Taylor, founder of Ben
Ficklin, selected this site, on higher ground, to reinter remains
of relatives, including Col. Taylor, and bury his mother, sister,
and another uncle, victims of the flood.
Final resting place of many Tom
Green County pioneers.
Cemetery and village were named for owner of San Antonio-El Paso mail
line, Ben Ficklin.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact