in a Pecan Shell |
The town was settled in the late 1880s or early 1890s.
been renamed during the fervor of the Spanish
American War since the post office started operations in 1899 - shortly after
Dewey's defeat of the Spanish fleet at Manila Bay.
The town reportedly
had a store but the post office closed in 1906 and it stopped appearing on maps
in the 1930s.
County 1907 Postal Map still showing Manila
"ER" in "CHEROKEE")
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos of their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels