in a Pecan Shell|
Settled around 1845, Pine Town was a stagecoach
stop on the Rusk to Palestine
run. In March of 1847 a post office was granted under the name U. Auglin, Texas
- perhaps the ugliest post office name ever used. The postmaster, Valentin Auglin
evidently submitted his name which was misread by postal authorities. The error
was soon corrected and the name changed to Pine Town in 1848.
never developed into a "town" per se - but remained a rural community, with its
stores and businesses spread all around.
A school was opened in 1854,
and a Masonic lodge was built prior to the Civil War. Despite it's improved name,
the Pine Town post office closed its doors in 1874.
In 1900 when the
State Railroad was constructed from Rusk
businesses and people from Pine Town moved to the freshly minted town of Maydelle.
By 1920 Pine Town was gone.
Cherokee County, Texas Map showing Maydelle|
"HE" in "CHEROKEE")
Courtesy Texas General Land
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos of their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels