County, Texas Gulf
29°23'37"N 95°16'18"W (29.393698, -95.271588)
Highway 6 and Highway 35
12 Miles SE of Houston
Population: 24,236 (2010) 21,413 (2000) 19,220 (1990)
Santa Fe Railroad Depot
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, May 2012
in a Pecan Shell
Alvin, named for Alvin Morgan, a railroad cattle shipping agent, dates
to the 1860s when it was a flag stop/shipping point on the Santa Fe
Railroad. Morgan was the area’s first permanent resident, building
his house there in 1879. When a post office application was submitted
under Alvin’s last name, it was rejected since another community was
using the name of Morgan.
Alvin experienced a population explosion in the 1890s when it went
from a meager 100 people to an estimated 2,000 with the span of six
years. The early economy was based on agriculture. School classes
were first taught in the Methodist church until a separate building
could be constructed in the 1890s.
The 1940 population had grown to just over 3,000 people and fifteen
years later it was approaching 4,000. Alvin was home to a German Prisoner
of War Camp during WWII.
Between 1960 and 1970 Alvin nearly doubled its population, rising
to over 10,000. Alvin suffered severe damage from the 1900
Galveston Storm and has been struck by other major storms over
the years. Tropical Storm Claudette broke a state record for rain
in 1979, producing 43 inches of rain within a single 24-hour period.
County 1907 postal map showin Alvin
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact