History in a
In 1902 the founders of the Plotner-Stoddard Irrigation Canal Company (Ohioans
by birth) named the town after Ohio’s nickname. The source of the water was the
Colorado River and the generous supply of water was able to irrigate some 30,000
acres of land.
Buckeye had a company store for its employees and even
furnished a boarding house. The founders also set up a school for employee’s children.
A post office appeared in 1907 and the following year the railroad
arrived (the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico).
town had a population of 100 by 1914 and most essential businesses. But after
the Great Depression, Buckeye was left with only a single business and a population
of just 25.
By 1949 the Buckeye school fell victim to the school consolidation laws and although
the population remained the same, the post office closed its doors in 1971.
The population remained at 25 for the 1990 and 2000 census.
Buckeye is almost right in the center of Matagorda County about
7-1/2 miles southwest of Bay City - Barclay