TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
 
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Matagorda County TX
Matagorda County
Hotels

DEMING'S BRIDGE, TEXAS

Later known as Hawley, Texas

Texas Ghost Town
Matagorda County, Texas Gulf Coast

Highway 71
SW of Bay City the county seat
3 Miles NE of Blessing
20 Miles S of El Campo
Population: 0

Book Area Hotel :
Bay City Hotels | El Campo Hotels | Port Lavaca Hotels
Deming's Bridge Community Tx Bridge Beam and historical marker
Deming's Bridge Beam and historical marker
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2009
History on a Bridge Beam

The community of Deming’s Bridge is represented today by a historical marker and a supporting beam of the original span that gave the community its name. In 1857 Edwin A. Deming constructed a bridge over the then-navigable Tres Palacios River. A post office was in operation in the 1860s, closed in 1866 and reopened in 1872. Although the town was hit by a devastating storm in 1875, it retained a healthy population of 300 in the mid 1880s and grew to a population of 500 by the early 1890s.

The name was changed to Hawley, Texas in 1899 and the name of Deming’s Bridge fell into disuse – except for the school which continued to be known as the Deming’s Bridge School until its demise.


More History:
Hawley, Texas
Demings Bridge Community Marker


Photographer's Note:
The Demings Bridge Community Marker and Bridge Beam are located to the very back, west side, of the Old Hawley Cemetery on the banks of the Tres Palacios River. - Barclay Gibson, February 18, 2009
Deming's Bridge Community Texas historical marker
Deming's Bridge Community Texas historical marker
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2009
Historical Marker:

Deming's Bridge Community

The Deming's Bridge community grew up around a wooden bridge built over the Tres Palacios River at this site in 1857 for Edward A. Deming, owner of land along the west side of the stream. The crossing provided by Deming's Bridge became a natural gathering place for settlers of western Matagorda County.

Tres Palacios Baptist Church, site of many community activities, was established on the east side of the river. The Deming's Bridge Post Office opened in 1858, with Edwin A. Deming serving as postmaster until it was discontinued in 1866. Reinstated in 1872, the post office name was changed to Hawley in 1899. It closed again in 1903 when it was moved to the new settlement of Blessing (2 miles west). A Masonic hall, established in 1874, was also moved to Blessing after location of the railroad there caused a population shift.

Hawley Cemetery originated as a two-acre plot of land called Deming's Bridge Cemetery. Among the burials are the graves of brothers and noted cattle ranchers Abel Head "Shanghai" Pierce (1834-1900) and Jonathan Edwards Pierce (1839-1915). Jonathan Pierce donated land to enlarge the cemetery and was instrumental in changing its name in 1898 in honor of Texas Senator Robert B. Hawley (1849-1921).
Deming's Bridge TX 1899 postmark info
Deming's Bridge TX 1899 postmark
Cover cancelled with Deming's Bridge 1899 Postmark
Courtesy The John J. Germann Collection
TX Matagorda County vintage map

Matagorda County map showing Deming's Bridge,
Tres Palacios River, Blessing & Bay City

Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map

Take a road trip

Demings Bridge, Texas Nearby Towns:
Blessing
Bay City the county seat
Port Lavaca | El Campo | Victoria
See Matagorda County | Texas Gulf Coast

Book Hotel Here:
Bay City Hotels | Port Lavaca Hotels | El Campo Hotels
More Hotels
Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.

 


Texas Towns A - Z Texas Regions:
Gulf Texas Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central Texas North Central Woutn Central Texas South Panhandle Texas Panhandle
South South Texas Hill Texas Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Texas Ghost Towns counties Texas Counties

Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Go to Home Page »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Cotton
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved