a Pecan ShellThis
lost town was between Markham and the Colorado River was alongside the tracks
of the railroad.
The history of Cortes is linked to that of Markham.
The Cortez post office was moved to Markham in 1903 and renamed in 1903. Both
towns appear on the 1920 map (above).
The namesake was H. W. Cortes, who,
as president of the Moore-Cortes Canal Company had his headquarters here.
Cortes peaked around 1903 with the depot, post office and a hotel making up most
of the communities business district.
By the 1930s, Cortes was dropped
from the state highway map.
County 1920s Map showing Cortes|
Texas General Land Office|
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here