a Pecan Shell
named Cortes, Texas, the community has a post office under that name briefly (1901-03).
In 1903 the post office was renamed to honor an engineer for the Southern Pacific
By 1914 Markham had a respectable population of 500 residents
and was a stop on the Texas and New Orleans railroad. By the mid 1920s, the population
shed 100 residence, bringing it down to 400.
Markham formed its own independent
school district by the mid 1930s and had about a dozen businesses in operation.
During WWII the population
had grown to 700 which dropped to 300 for the 1950 census.
growth to 750 but by 1970 it had dropped again to just over 600.
census had increased to 1,206 and by 2000 it was ten businesses. The population
was 1,138 for the year 2000.
Oil Well Pumping
RigA plaque on
the rig had the following information:
"J.S. Abercrombie Mineral Company
Well Pumping Rig
In 1920, near Clemville,
Texas, J.S. Abercrombie Mineral Company put this pumping rig into operation
on a new oil well at a location west of Little Tres-Palacios Creek and south of
the present El Dorado Road. In 1927 the well went dry, and the pumping rig was
not used again.
In 1980 J.G. "Pappy" Stone donated this example of an
early oil well pumping rig to A.W. "Al" Hurta, Matagorda County Commissioner precinct
No. 4. The same year it was moved to this location and restored as a reminder
of the county's oil production in the early years of this* century."
twentieth century, of course." - Terry
Jeanson, September 2012
County 1920s Map showing Markham|
"T" in "MATAGORDA")
Texas General Land Office|
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here