in a Pecan Shell|
Philip F. Ward is credited with being the
town's first settler. The town was formed in the first half of the 1890s. A school
was opened in 1897 and the post office opened the next year. The town's namesake
was the postmaster's daughter, Una Guy Rowland.
The town was barely getting
it's feet on the ground when it was dealt a severe blow by the 1900
The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway
laid its tracks two miles southwest of the post office in 1918, and businesses
and the school moved, creating an Old Guy and a "New" Guy. Highway
36 was completed between Old Guy and Guy in 1932.
Residents of Guy found
work at the nearby Damon Mound salt dome, but as late as 1940 there were still
only 200 residents. Guy's schools merged with those of Needville
in the late 1940s which led to a decline in population. By the mid 1960s there
were only 100 residents which reached 60 by the 2000 census.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic photos, please contact