courtesy John Cooper
a Pecan Shell
Known by the bucolic
name of “Buttermilk Station” during the Civil War,, it was
later known as Highlands. Since the name was already in use
by another community, the name was changed to La Marque in the 1890s.
From a nucleus of six families in the late 1860s, it grew to 100 for
the 1890 Census and by the middle of that decade, it had grown to
In 1914 La Marque was connected to three railroads as well as the
Interurban line which connected Houston
and Galveston. That
same year the population reached 500 and growth was slow but steady.
By the early 1950s it had surpassed 1,500 residents (served by a reported
La Marque’s population worked in the chemical industries along the
coast and in Galveston.
By the late 1970s it had peaked at 17,000 residents, declining over
the next decades until it reached 13, 682 for the 2000 Census. The
2010 Census showed an increase to 14, 509.
courtesy Ken Rudine
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact